Company or Organization: EPCOR UTILITIES
Position Title: Advisor, Human Resources
Position Type: Full time – permanent
Position Description and Qualifications: Job Title: Senior Advisor, Water Communications
Clean water and reliable electricity are at the heart of what we do. We proudly keep the lights on and the water flowing in over 100 communities across North America. With a rich 125-year history, EPCOR has ambitions to be one of North America’s premier providers of essential services, and we have the top employer and sustainability awards to prove it. If you’re looking for new opportunities, people who care and work that matters, apply today to find a career where you matter more. Check out epcor.com/careers to find out more.
With over 100 years of experience, EPCOR Water Canada works with industry, municipalities and communities to design, build, finance and operate water and wastewater treatment plants, distribution and collection systems. We serve more than 85 communities and industrial sites in B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan, making sure that the water exceeds public health, environmental and industrial requirements.
EPCOR Utilities Inc. has an excellent opportunity for two (2) Senior Communications Advisors to join their team. One full-time permanent position and one temporary position are available.
The full-time position would begin at the end of November 2017. The temporary position term would begin in January 2018 and would extend to April 2019 (maternity leave coverage).
**Please reference in your cover letter whether you are applying for either the permanent or temporary position.
The Senior Advisor, Water Communications is responsible for providing strategic advice to internal clients within EPCOR Water Services Inc. (EWSI), developing communications goals and delivering on strategies and tactics that support Water Canada’s Operational Communications Strategy. This includes understanding the business needs of Water Canada and developing communications plans to assist in meeting these outcomes.
The Senior Advisor, Water Communications, will report to the Senior Manager, Public & Government Affairs, Water, and is accountable for ensuring communications effectively enhance the profile, reputation and image of EPCOR, while meeting brand standards. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the development and execution of annual communication plans, preparing emergency communications, writing and editing articles, notifications, speaking notes and key messaging. The candidate will also create public education initiatives, provide customer relations support and execute event and sponsorship initiatives. Collecting secondary research and providing analysis will also be required.
The accountabilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Developing communications strategies to help deliver programs that enhance the profile of EPCOR Water operations with customers and external stakeholders.
- Selecting and using appropriate communications channels to engage stakeholders through multiple channels.
- Providing ongoing strategic advice and communications support to EPCOR Water internal clients on an ongoing basis to assist in meeting their business goals, including the development of:
- Annual communications plans for EPCOR Water operations; and
- Project-specific communications plans.
- Developing proactive issues management strategies and ensuring timely communications support in response to emerging issues, incidents or crises.
- Supporting media relations by developing key messages and providing relevant content related to EPCOR’s water business.
- Acting as an on-call, after-hours media spokesperson on a rotating weekly basis with other Senior Advisors.
- Working with EPCOR Water to enhance the customer experience by providing guidance and advice and communications materials in a timely manner to external-facing front-line employees.
- Developing and implementing internal communications plans and messaging to build employee engagement and enhance their safety on the job.
- Enhancing customer confidence in EPCOR as a high-quality water/wastewater provider through development of customer awareness initiatives, public relations campaigns, social media, marketing and advertising materials that resonate with the public.
- Demonstrating a high-performance, high-discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented, easy-to-do-business-with manner of working.
As the successful candidate, you possess:
- Degree from a recognized North American post-secondary institution in one of the following fields: Bachelor of Commerce in Marketing, Public Relations, or Communications Management.
- Accreditation with the International Association of Business Communicators or the Canadian Public Relations Society is considered an asset
- 4-6 years demonstrated experience in delivering effective, measurable communications in a variety of media.
- Demonstrated understanding, experience and application of diverse communication tools.
- Understanding and experience of the North American water industry would be an asset.
- Advanced ability to write and edit communications plans and materials targeted at different audiences (e.g. general public, employees, key influencers, senior management).
- Ability to manage multi-faceted, complex projects.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills; adherence to high editorial standards.
- Demonstrated competence in Microsoft Office Suite applications; Word at an advanced level; Power Point and Excel at an intermediate level.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver professional presentations; to various audiences, including journalists.
- A working knowledge of media relations (for TV, radio, print and web).
- Experience with social media communications and campaigns.
- Ability to travel for business (up to 25% of the time) for a short duration.
As our best candidate, you are comfortable collaborating with employees at all levels of a diverse workforce, and demonstrate superior consulting skills. You have an excellent ability to problem solve, rethink strategy as new information arises and remain calm under pressure. You work well independently and as part of a team, and possess demonstrated interpersonal skills and customer service focus which fosters relationship building. You have strong people skills with an ability to mitigate and resolve conflict, employ sound judgment and decision-making and work collaboratively with Public & Government Affairs (P&GA) and other business units. Above all, you represent EPCOR in a professional manner, and adhere to the professional standards of the broader communications community.
Wage: $43.39 – $51.71
Hours of work: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week
Location: Based out of either Edmonton or Calgary (the temporary position will be based in Edmonton).
Commencing with your first day of employment as a permanent EPCOR employee you will enjoy a variety of benefits, such as:
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive (bonus) pay program
- Paid vacation
- Flexible benefits plan
- Five paid personal days off each year
- Access to internal and external career development programs
- Financial support for personal development
- Pension Plan
- Financial support for employee wellness
- Career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines and operational areas
- Financial support for charitable organizations that employees contribute to
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook!
How to apply: How to apply:
For more information on this exciting career opportunity and to apply, please refer to IRC38824.
on the EPCOR career website www.epcor.ca/careers.
Application Deadline: November 2, 2017
About the Company or Organization:
Closing Date: November 2, 2017