Company or Organization: Canadian Glycomics Network – University of Alberta
Position Title: Communications Lead
Position Type: Full time – temporary
Position Description and Qualifications: This position has an end date of one year from the date of hire and offers a comprehensive benefits package, which can be viewed at: www.hrs.ualberta.ca.
The Communication Lead reports to and supports the Executive Director by developing, implementing and monitoring the Network communications strategies, plans, and initiatives for both internal and external audiences. This position is responsible for the overall implementation and operations of the strategies established for the Communications portfolio at GlycoNet particularly in the areas of Relationship Building, Communications, Public Relations, Press Relations, Marketing, and Special Events. The incumbent is also responsible for co-planning the annual Canadian Glycomics Symposium (250 attendees), the production of the annual report to the NCE, monthly newsletters, the annual corporate report (public), and the renewal application.
- Develops communications and marketing strategies, plans, and proposals that direct the communications initiatives of GlycoNet
- Plans, initiates and oversees the organization of various national and, if required, international activities and strategies aimed to raises awareness about GlycoNet or communicate its messages
- Manages media and relationships, including social media and website
- Ensures the tracking and archiving of media (video, photos, etc.)
- Designs and oversees the implementation of numerous strategies to increase the visibility given to projects and researchers’ achievements
- Creates, launches and implement a comprehensive, targeted, and sustainable public relations program that supports GlycoNet’s mission
- Creates and executes an internal and external communications strategy
- Manages consistency in content and messaging between web, print, and other media to ensure alignment in communications strategy
- Ensures that GlycoNet reporting requirements to funding agencies are completed and approved in a timely manner including the annual bilingual corporate report
- Plans, coordinates, writes and edits a number of strategic communications and marketing materials
- Manages the development and implementation of GlycoNet goals and objectives for multiple functions related to Communication
- Oversees RFPs processes, negotiation and conclusion of contracts and agreements with businesses, firms and consultants hired to cover partially or totally areas from their portfolio
- Ensures the fair presence online of GlycoNet, based on its mission, mandate, current goals and priorities
- Responsible for some aspects of event management for both internal and external events and programs, including the Scientific AGM and the annual Canadian Glycomics Symposium
- Minimum undergraduate degree in communications, public relations or journalism; BSc preferred; equivalent combinations of relevant experience and education will be considered
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in communications or public relations with a proven ability to understand communication principles and practices
- Experience in communications in an academic environment is an asset
- Excellent skills in developing and implementing strategic communications plans
- Excellent written and verbal communications and editorial skills
- Bilingual: French and English considered an asset
- Experience developing and implementing social media strategies
- Experience with media relations including story identification, pitching and reporting
- Superior understanding of and expertise in developing various communication tools (i.e. web, ads, newsletters, special events, brochures, videos, etc.)
- Ability to translate technical information into everyday language
- Ability to effectively communicate with media, senior management, supervisors, peers, clients and stakeholders
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a team, as well as independently with minimal supervision
- Detail oriented and organized, with exceptional prioritization skills to help balance conflicting priorities and tight deadlines
- Demonstrated proficiency with web content management systems (WordPress) and desktop publishing applications
- Experience/familiarity within an international research collaboration setting
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License is an asset
How to apply: Apply online through the University of Alberta: http://www.careers.ualberta.ca
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
About the Company or Organization: The Canadian Glycomics Network is a $38M initiative funded by the federal Centres of Networks of Excellence (NCE), provincial, and industrial partners, which comprises of more than 110 research teams from 29 institutions in Canada. GlycoNet is a not-for-profit corporation registered in eight Canadian provinces and, as such, complies with the Not-For-Profit Corporations Act and its own set of By-Laws. As part of the GlycoNet Host agreement with the University of Alberta, the Network administrative team, that provides management and support to all GlycoNet initiatives and administers funding, will be made up of employees from the University of Alberta. To ensure better efficiency, it has been recognized that GlycoNet should operate as a University Department, with the GlycoNet Scientific Director as Chair.
Company website: http://canadianglycomics.ca/
Closing Date: November 24, 2017