Company or Organization: City of Edmonton
Position Title: Communications Advisor, Vision Zero Edmonton
Position Type: Full time – temporary
Position Description and Qualifications: Job Number: 32834
Communications and Engagement is seeking an experienced communications professional to support the Vision Zero Edmonton traffic safety initiative. Help us turn the five E’s of road safety (engineering, evaluation, education, enforcement and engagement) into conversations and materials that resonate with Edmontonians and help change travellers’ behaviours.
Supporting the City Operations department, the Communications Advisor is a critical member of a work team tasked with keeping the City moving, working, and thriving. With a focus on the education and engagement aspects of the Vision Zero strategy, you will help design and implement an effective social media presence, develop advertising campaigns and materials for use with community groups, work with communications partners to expand the reach and effectiveness of Vision Zero materials, and help bring the Vision Zero Edmonton road safety strategy to life.
In this dynamic work environment, you will:
- Refine and implement a multi-pronged communications strategy to reach thousands of Edmontonians who drive, ride, and walk on City streets
- Support conversations with Edmontonians about how to change behaviours — whether at public events, on social media, in traditional media, or in classrooms
- Develop editorial plans, identify spokespeople and advocates, and convey compelling stories about the importance of traffic safety
- Develop and distribute materials to update Council as well as internal and external stakeholders on program milestones
- Collaborate with communications, marketing, and engagement colleagues to advance the City’s objectives
- Write and edit a variety of materials, including news releases, speeches, key messages, backgrounders, letters, briefing notes, web content, articles, brochures, and posters for a range of audiences
- Proactively and reactively manage media relations, including opportunities to generate positive media coverage. Develop key messages, write media releases, coach and prepare spokespeople, act as spokesperson as required, and arrange media availabilities
- Leverage social media in support of corporate objectives, including generating social media plans, writing content, and liaising with the Media Relations Unit to optimize social media use
- Organize and coordinate events, including writing speaking notes, liaising with participants and producing other materials that may be required
- Develop and lead the production of communication materials and plans, ensuring products are on time and on budget
- University graduation in a communications, public relations or related discipline, supplemented by a minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in a corporate communications, public relations or public affairs position
- Diploma in a communications, public relations or related field, supplemented by a minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible experience in a corporate communications, public relations or public affairs position
- Minimum of 2 years (degree) to 4 years (diploma) of experience in creating, developing, implementing and evaluating communication plans, social marketing initiatives, and media relations (preparing spokespeople and acting as a spokesperson)
- Exceptional writing, editing and storytelling skills with extensive knowledge of communications practices, principles, and techniques
- Experience building strong working relationships with colleagues at all levels of an organization, including senior leaders managing operational areas, and contractors or consultants
- Superior issues identification and management skills
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills
- Strong project management and event planning skills
- Experience and proficiency with contemporary computer technologies (e.g. Google platform, Microsoft Word, Adobe suite, etc.)
- Accreditation in the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) or Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) would be an asset
- Knowledge of transportation, safety, cycling, or other community programs would be an asset
- Applicants may be tested
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Up to 1 temporary full-time position up to 18 months as per Article 18.02 of the Collective Agreement
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week, Monday-Friday
Salary: $43.384 – $54.671 (Hourly)
Recruitment Consultant: RF/CM
How to apply: Please apply at: https://recruitment.edmonton.
Company website: http://www.edmonton.ca
Closing Date: Jun 21, 2018 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
This career listing expires at 11:59pm on Thursday June 21st, 2018