Company or Organization: APEGA
Position Title: Communications Specialist
Position Type: Full time – permanent
Position Description and Qualifications: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Edmonton or Calgary
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta.
Do you know the difference between a strategy and a tactic? Do you love sharing your strategic expertise with others? Does implementing communication plans fill you with joy?
If you answered yes, you may be the right fit for our communications team.
APEGA is looking for an experienced communications specialist to provide strategic guidance to our internal clients so they achieve APEGA’s strategic and business goals.
This position reports to the Deputy Director of Communications and works as part of a team of communications practitioners who establish and maintain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Your broad range of skills should include communications planning, public relations, writing, and social media. You should be familiar with writing for many different types of content, such as magazines, websites, newsletters, and social media.
- Provide support and counsel to internal clients, enhancing their ability to accomplish APEGA’s strategic and business plan goals
- Develop and implement communication plans, including research, background information, audiences, key messages, strategies, tactics, budgets, and timelines
- Research, write, photograph, prepare, edit, fact-check, and repurpose content for The PEG magazine, newsletters, website, intranet, speeches, and social media
- Evaluate results of communication plan implementation
- Create and implement media strategies, including traditional media outlets and related technical or sector publications
- Coordinate the design, approval, and production of print and digital materials
- Manage the creation and distribution of collateral materials for events and initiatives including printed programs, biographies, and scripts
- Work with outside consultants and service providers, such as photographers, designer, printers, and videographers
Skills & Attributes
- Proven strong writing and editing skills
- Knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of project management
- Familiarity using popular social media platforms, including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- Knowledge of public relations best practices and code of ethics
- Knowledge of media requirements, deadlines, and basic insights about their audiences
- Awareness of self-regulating professions and regulatory environments
- Post-secondary education in public relations, communications, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in a formal communications role, a significant portion of which has included strategic communication
- Excellent writing and planning skills
- Able to easily and quickly switch tasks and priorities, as well as track multiple projects with different deadlines
- Experience with photography and videography is an asset
- Experience using Hootsuite is an asset
How to apply: If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter, resume and portfolio, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources at HR@apega.ca.
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Company website: https://www.apega.ca/
Closing Date: August 30, 2018
This career listing expires at 11:59pm on Thursday August 30th, 2018