Company or Organization: The City of Red Deer
Position Title: Public Participation & Engagement Coordinator
Position Type: Full time – temporary
Position Description and Qualifications: This term position is responsible for facilitating meaningful ongoing dialogue between citizens, stakeholders and The City, utilizing the IAP2 model of public participation and The City of Red Deer model. This position is responsible for leading and advising on City public participation and engagement initiatives by working with departments to plan, design, deliver and evaluate public participation strategies and report on outcomes. This position plays a central role in designing and delivering participatory processes resulting in improved decision making. The public participation coordinator utilizes advanced-level knowledge in public participation (IAP2) to establish engagement programs and build capacity that supports The City as it aims to achieve its priorities and address emerging issues.
Ideally to fill this role you will be have knowledge gained through completing an undergraduate degree in communications, public engagement, public relations, stakeholder relations, or related field, plus a minimum of five years of progressively more complex public participation experience in the public sector.
In addition you will have:
• Hold or be eligible for IAP2 Professional Certification.
• IAP2 Licensed Trainer for the Foundations in Public Participation Program.
• Advanced knowledge of public participation theory and practice.
• Advanced knowledge of community and stakeholder relations.
• Advanced knowledge of new and innovative engagement processes, better practices, tools and techniques. Strategic and systems thinking skills to develop and encourage commitment to new approaches, work within a broadly defined conceptual framework, and manage multiple complex issues.
• Advanced leadership skills and the demonstrated ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships with stakeholders, external partners and internal clients.
• Advanced problem solving skills with demonstrated experience synthesizing and interpreting complex concepts and data. Strong conflict management and negotiation skills to balance and mediate conflicting interests and perspectives.
• Advanced project management knowledge supplemented with several years of demonstrable experience. Experience planning, implementing, delivering and evaluating complex strategies, programs and projects. Strong time management and project management skills to adapt to changing priorities.
How to apply: What we offer:
In addition to the very competitive salary, we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of professionals.
We welcome applications until a suitable candidate is found.
About the Company or Organization: Join a vibrant outdoor centric community filled with trails and breathtaking nature along the winding river valley of Red Deer, in Central Alberta. Red Deer is an economically dynamic region of Alberta situated directly between Edmonton and Calgary along the vital QE 2 corridor. It’s a perfect blend of small town friendliness and big city conveniences. Host to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the 2019 Canadian Winter Games, Red Deer continues to welcome all of Canada with open arms.
Closing Date: July 31, 2019
This career listing expires at 11:59pm on Wednesday July 31st, 2019