Company or Organization: NAIT
Position Title: Media and External Relations Specialist
Position Type: Full time – permanent
Position Description and Qualifications: Do you see story potential where others don’t? Do you understand how to optimize content to increase engagement and improve performance? Do you look at complex issues and see the risks and the opportunities? The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) seeks a seasoned Media and External Relations Specialist with experience in corporate communication and/or news environments. This critical, full-time position will support business goals and priorities through proactive and reactive media and external relations, and strategic issues management. Your strengths include developing and implementing media relations strategies, providing proactive issues management to senior leadership and developing compelling editorial content. You are dedicated to providing prompt, superior service, have experience working with data and are comfortable initiating daily contact with key reporters and news editors. Most important, you enjoy working in a busy, high-performing team environment.
Reporting to the Director, Communications, the individual will create, curate and publish content and will be an important contributor to NAIT’s content marketing strategy. They will be part of strategic and collaborative planning that ensures all work is aligned with NAIT’s strategic direction and vision, building on the strengths of the team’s work to date. As part of an integrated marketing and communications team, they will work closely with cross-functional teams to identify and plan content and its delivery mechanisms, in sync with internal clients’ needs. They will lead the day-to-day management of NAIT media relations, develop strategies for managing external issues and contribute news and other content to platforms including techlifetoday.ca, nait.ca and NAIT’s intranet. They should be versatile in their approach to telling stories and producing content, with an established ability to measure the success of their efforts. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Develop proactive & reactive media and external relations strategies to support NAIT’s direction & priorities
- Collaborate with marketers and communicators to identify and deliver support to NAIT campaigns
- Contribute to the development of industry newsletters
- Curate and publish partner-produced content
- Report on engagement and performance of online content
- Research and write news releases and other media materials along with feature articles, news stories and web content as required
- Provide high-level media relations support for senior leadership including training, research, briefings, analysis, evaluation and recommendations
- Proactively identify emerging issues and recommend mitigation strategies
- Develop and lead media protocols during an emergency as a member of the Emergency Response Communication Team
- Develop strategies to embrace the changing media landscape with content optimized to reach regional, national and international audiences on paid and owned digital channels
- Track and report media coverage
- Act as spokesperson for the polytechnic as required
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of current media environment
- Strong writing and editing skills, along with best practice web-writing skills
- Knowledge of brand journalism and content marketing
- Experience developing strategies to manage complex issues
- Experience planning and managing media events
- Experience using data to inform decisions and strategies
- Knowledge of digital marketing including use of SEO and SEM to target audiences
- Ability to manage concurrent projects and deadlines under pressure
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in journalism or communications
- 8-years experience in news environment that includes publishing online
- Project management experience an asset
Remuneration: Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Total compensation will include a comprehensive benefits package.
Note: Please submit a Resume and Cover Letter.
Thank you for your application however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from World Education Services or the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) – http://work.alberta.ca/immigration/international-qualifications-assessment-service.html
How to apply: Please follow the link to our Careers Page and apply directly to the competition: https://nait.startdate.ca/#/
Please submit a resume and cover letter.
Closing Date: May 2, 2020
This career listing expires at 11:59pm on Saturday May 2nd, 2020