Company or Organization: Strathcona County
Position Title: Director, Communications
Position Type: Full time – permanent
Position Description and Qualifications: Director, Communications
Competition number: 096-2020-EXT-COMS
Closing date: 07/12/2020
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Pay range: $81.54 to $101.92 per hour ($148,403 to $185,494 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Are you a strong Communications leader and spokesperson with a vision to serve the community and the organization through effective and timely communications?
Are you interested in leading the future of communications of a growing specialized municipality?
If so, come join Strathcona County as the Director, Communications, reporting to the Chief Commissioner and leading a talented team of communications professionals. The Communications function within Strathcona County is a blended delivery model with corporate leadership coming from the Communications department but with in-house communicators in many departments. A key role for the Director Communications would be to coordinate these diverse resources to create alignment and achieve overall corporate objectives, be the key communications resource during emerging situations and guide the County’s response from a communications perspective as well as be the County’s spokesperson when directed.
You will have primary responsibility for leading, managing and directing the Communications Department and will establish corporate commutations direction out to all Departments in support of Strathcona County’s Vision, Strategic and Corporate Business Plans, and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service. You will advise, influence, and inform the Chief Commissioner, Executive Team, and Council of the operations, affairs and direction of the department. In addition to this being a strategic leadership role, you will be required to provide practical communications advice in response to a variety of emerging situations.
- Strategize, develop, implement, and exemplify the Communications components of Strathcona County’s Strategic Plan in a way that most effectively ensures reliable, efficient and safe program and service delivery, and supports a sustainable environment and healthy community
- Lead the development and implementation of the department’s business plan, operating budget and human resource planning
- Participate in Strathcona County’s Executive Team and Senior Leadership Team to contribute to the development and success of the overall organization
- As the Communications leader for the County you will support Council as well as administration in providing sound communications plans and advice
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team in the department
- Foster a culture of leadership, collaboration, teamwork, and excellence in customer service
- Develop, communicate and implement all aspects of communications, public relations and engagement for the County, including emergency communications, issues management, media relations, stakeholder relations, reputation and brand management advertising, social media etc.
- Determine strategic priorities, program objectives and policy recommendations in support of departmental programs and services
- Act as Strathcona County’s spokesperson with the media, as directed, in routine and emergent matters; work to exert influence over the County’s media coverage including fostering positive media relations and function as a point of contact for media inquiries for the organization
- Take on the lead role for communications within the County’s Emergency Operations Centre in the event of significant community emergencies
Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategy, and develop and implement new programs, procedures, services, and policies that address emerging needs, expectations, and operational priorities
- Strong political and organizational savvy and business acumen and the ability to respond under pressure to changing political and operational situations
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills including strong management skills to provide direction, training and coaching
- Flexible, adaptable, collaborative and demonstrates a positive attitude.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; a visionary leader with the ability to present and address Council, Boards and Committees
- Ability to work under pressure, manage a variety of projects and initiatives simultaneously and meet tight timelines
- Ability to diplomatically and effectively liaise and consult with internal and external stakeholders
- Degree in communications, public relations or a related field. Master’s degree in a related field is considered an asset
- A professional designation with IABC, CPRS or NAGC is an asset
- Incident Command System (ICS) training would be an asset
- Minimum of 10 years of senior level management experience with proven strategic leadership in all areas of communications including issues management and media relations
- Extensive, positive, and successful career track record of progressively more senior positions in a public sector organization with proven ability to provide leadership and focus
- Extensive knowledge of the theories and principles of Communications management, including the political and policy factors that influence department programs and their development
- Knowledge of financial management, planning and reporting processes, business planning and fiscal frameworks, and best practices in Communication services
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #096-2020-EXT-COM closes July 12, 2020
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.
How to apply: To apply, go to: https://www.strathcona.ca/council-county/careers/opportunity/096-2020-ext-comc/
Closing Date: July 12, 2020
This career listing expires at 11:59pm on Sunday July 12th, 2020