Company or Organization: Edmonton Seniors Coordinating Council
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Position Type: Full time – permanent
Position Description and Qualifications: The Edmonton Seniors Coordinating Council (ESCC) is recruiting for a dynamic Communications Coordinator whose work will increase the visibility of a coordinated, connected network of community-based services and supports for seniors. Our communications serve to engage, inform and promote the sector and contribute to the service capacity of stakeholders. The salary is commensurate with training and experience and includes health benefits (including a health spending account) and an employer-matched RRSP contribution plan equivalent to five per cent of the wage upon successful completion of the probation period.
The ESCC is funded by the City of Edmonton and the United Way Alberta Capital Region. All positions are subject to funding.
Reports to: Executive Director
Responsible for the articulation and communication of key messages about the organization, the sector and key initiatives. Other functional accountabilities may include briefing and supervision of vendors, media relations including writing (or approving) of news releases, news conferences, writing and editing of a variety of communications materials and website maintenance. Accountable for the development and execution of communications strategies for the organization and its stakeholders.
Areas of responsibility/tasks
- As part of a team, communicate ESCC activities/information to sector and stakeholders and promote stakeholder engagement;
- Media relations, including identifying key media contacts, maintaining media lists, and identifying opportunities to proactively pitch stories; Coordinates the information gathering and production of various ESCC publications; Solicits, edits, synthesizes and disseminates information on behalf of stakeholders using various communication vehicles and platforms;
- Promote and increase awareness of the ESCC through communication tactics and materials;
- Provide communication planning and/or support for sector work and specific initiatives;
- Disseminate information about research, initiatives and trends relevant to the sector;
- Support the Coordinating Council’s participation in community and special events;
Qualifications for Communications Coordinator
- Degree or diploma in Communications or other relevant education
- Suitable combination of experience and education
Skills and experience for Communications Coordinator
- Experience working on large initiatives and/or collaboratives involving many stakeholders (project management experience an asset)
- Background in media or public relations and promotion in non-profit sector
- Great writer with excellent interpersonal skills – good oral communicator and presenter
- Superior time management and organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Keen eye for detail
- Knowledge and experience utilizing social media to strategically relay information
- Experience with coordinating and gathering information from others, editing, synthesizing and relaying information for specific purposes
- Familiarity with Sharepoint, Teams, Google Suite, email marketing software (Constant Contact and MailChimp), social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter), website content management systems (ShoutCMS and WordPress), and social media management software (Hootsuite and Buffer).
- Excellent problem solving and research skills
- Knowledge of needs, issues and services related to older people an asset
- Self-motivated and able to work as part of a team
Commensurate with training and experience.
How to apply: Applicants can forward their resumes by August 14, 2020 Attention: Sheila Hallett, Executive Director to email@example.com or fax to 780- 428-3844.
If a suitable candidate cannot be found, the position will be re-posted. Only candidates selected for interviews will be notified
About the Company or Organization: The Edmonton Seniors Coordinating Council works with senior service agencies and other stakeholders in the seniors sector to build an Age Friendly Edmonton and enhance the lives of all Edmonton seniors.
By facilitating collaboration and resource sharing we strengthen the ability of our member organizations to effectively meet the needs of Edmonton seniors. We also facilitate collaboration among stakeholders in the seniors sector to address gaps in service and encourage coordination of services.
Closing Date: August 14, 2020
This career listing expires at 11:59pm on Friday August 14th, 2020