Company or Organization: EPCOR Utilities Inc.
Position Title: Senior Advisor, Communications
Position Type: Full time – temporary
Position Description and Qualifications:
We are hiring a Full-Time Temporary position for up to 18 months working out of Edmonton, Alberta!
As the Senior Advisor, Water Communications, you will be accountable for planning, maintenance and day-to-day execution of communications that inform and engage employees and customers, while contributing to EPCOR’s positive brand and reputation.
The Senior Advisor, Water Communications, will report to the Senior Manager, Public & Government Affairs, Water, and is accountable for ensuring communications effectively enhance the profile, reputation and image of EPCOR, while meeting brand standards. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the development and execution of annual communication plans, preparing emergency communications, writing and editing articles, notifications, speaking notes and key messaging. The candidate will also create internal and public education initiatives, provide customer relations support and execute event and sponsorship initiatives. Collecting secondary research and providing analysis will also be required.
What you’d be responsible for
- Developing and executing communication plans that enhance the profile of EPCOR Water’s operations with customers and external stakeholders.
- Preparing emergency communications, writing and editing articles, notifications, speaking notes and key messaging.
- Developing and delivering presentations that effectively communicate key messages and appeal to broad audiences.
- Supporting media relations by developing key messages and providing relevant content related to EPCOR’s water business.
- Create internal communications programs and materials that increase employee engagement and help build team culture in channels such as email bulletins, videos, digital displays and print materials.
- Develop and post engaging stories and communications materials that reflect business needs and adhere to a high editorial standard. Writing and editing a wide variety of communications materials, including online content and promotional materials.
- Plan and develop public education initiatives, provide customer relations support and execute event and sponsorship initiatives for the water business unit.
- Working with EPCOR Water to enhance the customer experience by providing guidance, advice and communications materials in a timely manner to external-facing front line employees.
- Leading water event design and implementation by generating promotional ideas, overseeing logistics and supporting volunteers.
- Providing ongoing strategic advice and communications support to EPCOR Water internal clients on an on-going basis to assist in meeting their business goals.
- Proven project management and communication planning skills, including a high degree of comfort in a fast-paced environment where priorities can shift.
- Enhancing customer confidence in EPCOR as a high-quality water/wastewater provider in Edmonton through development of customer awareness initiatives, public relations campaigns, social media, marketing and advertising materials that resonate with the public.
- Acting as an on-call, after-hours media spokesperson on a rotating weekly basis with other Senior Advisors.
- Demonstrating a high-performance, high-discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented, easy-to-do-business-with manner of working.
What’s required to be successful
- Successful completion of a four-year undergraduate degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field.
- 4-6 years demonstrated experience in delivering effective, measurable communications in a variety of media. Applies effective communications/public relations fundamentals to every project.
- Advanced ability to develop, write and edit communications materials targeted at different audiences and using varied channels (e.g. general public, employees, key influencers, senior management).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver professional presentations; to various audiences, including journalists.
- A working knowledge of media relations (for TV, radio, print and web).
- Ability to manage multi-faceted, complex projects.
- Experienced in using digital channels and engagement /social media platforms. Engaged in digital/web concepts, techniques and trends.
- Strong research, writing and editing skills; attention to detail.
- Demonstrated collaborative approach, including ability to build relationships and work with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Experience using Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite (considered an asset) and Microsoft SharePoint.
- Understanding and experience of the North American water industry would be an asset.
- Experience in the utilities industry and accreditation with IAP2, the International Association of Business Communicators or Canadian Public Relations Society are considered assets
Other important facts about this job
- Jurisdiction: CSU52
- Class: P2
- Wage: $46.89 – $55.88 per hour
- Hours of work: 8 hours per day, Monday to Friday. Overtime may be required.
Location: Edmonton, AB (Currently this position is working from home due to COVID-19. Under normal circumstances, this position is based out of Rossdale Water Treatment Plant)
Application deadline: August 10th, 2020
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.
How to apply: For more information on this exciting opportunity and to apply, please refer to requisition 11021 on the EPCOR career website www.epcor.ca/careers.
About the Company or Organization: Clean water and reliable energy are at the heart of what we do. We proudly keep the lights on and the water flowing in over 100 communities across North America. With a rich 125-year history, EPCOR has ambitions to be one of North America’s premier providers of essential services, and we have the top employer and sustainability awards to prove it. If you’re looking for new opportunities, people who care and work that matters, apply today to find a career where you matter more. Check out epcor.com/careers to find out more.
Closing Date: August 10, 2020
This career listing expires at 11:59pm on Monday August 10th, 2020