Company or Organization: Alberta Innovates
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Position Type: Full time – permanent
Position Description and Qualifications:
We are seeking a Communications Coordinator to provide support in developing and executing a full range of communication services. This position will work under the direction of senior staff and will report to a Director in Communications. The Coordinator contributes as a full Alberta Innovates (AI) and Communications team member, actively supporting achievement of the mandate, outcomes and deliverables of AI, and Corporate Communications. The Coordinator will work on a variety of different projects, plus participate in strategic communications planning and implementation, crisis communications and issues management.
Are you our next Communications Coordinator? You would be a good fit for this position if you:
- Enjoy working with diverse teams to provide professional communication services in a variety of mediums both internally and externally.
- Are Innovative and energetic; solutions-driven, adaptable; effective and creative communicator
- Enjoy hosting tours and events; representing the organization at tradeshows and speaking engagements
We are game changers
Alberta Innovates is a provincially funded corporation with a mandate to deliver 21st-century solutions for the most compelling challenges facing Albertans. We do this by building on our province’s research and technology development strengths in the core sectors of health, environment, energy, food and fibre, and platforms such as artificial intelligence, nanotechnology and omics. We are working with our partners to diversify Alberta’s economy, improve our environmental performance and enhance the well-being of Albertans through research and innovation.
Our subsidiary, InnoTech Alberta, offers a diversified range of scientific engineering and technological research and testing capabilities, and the facilities to support technology scale-up. Our multidisciplinary team has the depth of experience to work across all sectors, from energy to health to food and fibre. InnoTech Alberta offers you access to research talent, technical expertise, and unique facilities that can help accelerate technology development that serves both the private and public sector.
Intrigued? Here’s some more information about the position:
Marketing and Communications is a strategic function and shared services unit dedicated to advancing Alberta Innovates (AI) business mission and brand, including InnoTech, its largest subsidiary and myriad applied research programs, consortia, networks and joint initiatives. Marketing and Communications goals are to build and activate brand value/reputation; cultivate policy support for AI’s business strategies; expand AI presence/partnerships with corporate and industry leaders; and foster best practices and effective communication systems enterprise-wide.
Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates and manages identified tasks in relation to electronic and print publications and collateral production (including design, photography, printing, writing, editing, proofing and evaluation)
- Work with colleagues across the enterprise to reveal and tell the Alberta Innovates story at all client journey touchpoints, including through sponsorships, tradeshows and speaking engagements.
- Provides general communications support to Communications Business Partners and other team members.
- Researches, interviews, writes, and edits internal/external communication documents with guidance as requested.
- Actively participates and contributes as an engaged member of the Communications team to the planning, implementation, and assessment of internal/external communication projects.
- Provides tactical and communication services support for corporate and divisional projects in relation to Alberta Innovates corporate and operational objectives and deliverables.
- Assists in the development and execution of corporate communications plans and activities as required.
- Works with the Communications Business Partners and team to support event panning and implementation including management and execution of events, tours, and general hosting activities supporting the image and reputation desired by AI. Events vary in scope and nature.
- Assumes lead role on identified projects as directed
- Supports social media efforts as requested.
Qualifications and skills we are looking for::
- Diploma in communications, public relations, journalism, broadcasting or English.
- Two years related experience.
- Experience coordinating advertising, publications and events
- Knowledge of emerging media, social media, and technical solutions supporting enhanced effectiveness of tools like the external website.
- Good understanding of the communication planning process.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of marketing, communications, public relations, economics, business;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Strong consulting, project management, and organizational skills.
- Adept negotiation, problem solving and decision-making abilities.
- Innovative and energetic; presents ideas effectively;
- Confident, solutions-driven, adaptable;
- Strong, effective, and creative communicator – both written and oral.
- Ability to provide accurate, error free and professional communication services in all mediums.
- Working knowledge of the Adobe suite of products an asset, specifically InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite; and
- Ability to travel.
Why Alberta Innovates?
We offer our employees opportunities to work on projects that will expand their skill sets while witnessing the visible impacts of their efforts. We value the development of our employees and create opportunities for working in capacities that allow new skills to be learned.
The final candidate will be required to undergo a security clearance. All interviewees must be able to meet the requirement specified in the Physical Demand Analysis. This document will be supplied during the interview process to the successful candidate. This competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
ALBERTA INNOVATES IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EQUITY IN EMPLOYMENT AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM ALL QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS. WE WISH TO THANK ALL APPLICANTS FOR THEIR INTEREST. HOWEVER, ONLY THOSE INVITED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
Closing Date: December 9, 2021
This career listing expires at 11:59pm on Thursday December 9th, 2021